R&D intensive companies all face the same challenges: how to increase R&D ROI and IP value; reduce time to market, reduce risk, enable more products to be created and enter new markets.
Ilika plc (LON: IKA) is a pioneer in materials innovation and has been inventing new materials for energy and electronics applications for over a decade, including in automotive, aeronautical and electronic components sectors. Global brands such as Rolls Royce and Toyota have long term collaborations with Ilika’s development teams.
By applying that heritage of patented materials invention, the company has developed ground-breaking solid state battery technology to meet the specific demands of a wide range of applications in the Internet of Things (IoT). Ilika is now licensing its battery technology IP to partners for IoT sensors for the Smart Home/Building; Medical; Automotive and Transportation sectors around the world.
Ilika is headquartered in the UK and has operations in USA, China and Japan.
Ilika Technologies Ltd was founded in 2004 as a spin-out from the School of Chemistry at the University of Southampton. The company quickly established an international reputation for the rapid development of novel materials and secured commercial partnerships with a portfolio of blue-chip companies including Asahi Kasei, Shell, Applied Materials, Toyota and Murata Manufacturing.
The company’s growth has been financed by three rounds of venture capital, an initial public offering (IPO) on the London Stock Exchange in May 2010 and a Placing in April 2012.
Significant milestones include:
- May 2004: Ilika Technologies Ltd founded and seed-round secured
- August 2004: First commercial customer, Asahi Kasei, secured
- February 2008: Toyota becomes a partner for development of battery materials
- May 2010: Successful IPO on London Stock Exchange
- January 2013: Completion of 200 m2 laboratory facility expansion
- October 2013: New contracts with two of the world’s largest aerospace companies
- January 2014: World’s first in solid state battery technology
- May 2014: UK patent grants for solid state battery methodology
- March 2015: Commencement of solid state battery pilot production
- April 2016: Launch of Stereax M250, world’s first micro solid state battery designed for the Internet of things
- December 2016:Ilika leads IoT collaboration with Sharp
- March 2017: Energy Materials Collaboration with Toyota Research Institute
- March 2017: Ilika and Galvani Bioelectronics enter into bioelectronics collaboration
- April 2017: Launch of Stereax P180, solid state battery designed for high temperature industrial applications
- November 2017: New partnership with wind turbine manufacturer Titan Wind Energy in China
- January 2018: Ilika awarded ISO 9001: 2015 certification for its quality management system
- March 2018: Ilika, PragmatIC and Arm Holdings collaborate to develop ultra-thin and flexible semiconductor technology for mass market applications
- June 2018: PowerDrive Line and MoSESS progammes supported by Faraday Battery Challenge for development of batteries for Electric Vehicles
- November 2018: Ilika announces an intended manufacturing partnership with Semefab for the manufacture of Stereax thin film solid-state cells
- December 2018: Ilika awarded ISO 9001: 2015 re-certification for its quality management system
- March 2019: Ilika collaborates with Network Rail and SCT for deployment of wireless sensors powered by Stereax batteries for monitoring rail infrastructure
- April 2019: Launch of Stereax M50, miniature solid state battery designed for the needs of MedTech